Sunday, April 3, 2011

Photobook

Going through the photo albums
Reminiscing on good times
Seeing all of the smiling faces
But I can read between the lines


The picture at the park we took
holding our glasses to the sky
With painted smiles on our faces
The picture does not tell you why


That picnic was not romantic rendezvouz
No joyous occassion for two lovers
It was a picnic forced by two unhappy hearts
To see if they still loved one another


Your mother's favorite holiday picture of us
I cover my face while u snuggle my neck
What this beautiful snapshot does not reveal
Is that I was an emotional wreck


I hadn't slept from the late nite calls
From this woman claiming to have your kid
Taking her frustrations out on me
And telling me the sordid details of what you did


I covered my face because my eyes were swollen
You snuggled my neck to whisper in my ear
And it was not a sweet tale of how you love me
But begging me not to make a scene there


I flip the page of the photo album
A tear rolls down my cheek and stains my shirt
The smiling faces of you, me and your infant son
A gorgeous family, not showing the hurt


Caring for this other woman's child
Pretending that I'm okay, although he's not mine
Watching her eyes linger when she drops him off
As I smile stiffly, acting like I am fine


I hate you because our family is not OUR family
I am reminded everytime I look
And flip through the smiling faces
The phoney life in our photo book

4-3-11

1 comment:

  1. Hummm, I'm torn on these new post. To be honest I was looking for this to be about the abusive nature of this relationship, for whatever reason (and that relationship being a lie)..., not our life together is a lie because you have a child with someone else (and the abuse is incidental to what's going on between us). I guess it's just kind a unclear to me..., and I have all kind a questions about what matters the most to this person?

    ReplyDelete