Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lovin' Me

Image: "Baby's Packin" by Willie Torbert




I am standing here in the mirror
Admiring every inch of me
It took me thirty-one years and seven months
To truly appreciate what I see

I have lived life too long being self conscious
Worrying how I looked in other’s eyes
Never did I know I held the key
In my hands is where self confidence lies

Look at my smooth brown skin
The tone changes like the seasons
I once hated my muted shade
Thought lighter or darker was better for some reason

But now I am grateful for my skin
Comparing it to butterscotch or a cocoa bean
But when you look at my skin it is obvious
That I am a beautiful African Queen!

Take a close look at my face
I would think your eyes would be drawn to my nose
It once was looked at with disdain
For it was the source of my woes

People never had qualms
To tell me how big they thought it was
But now I walk with my head held high
With my broad nose high above

My eyes I was told were too big
Some even said they were too wide
Now men tell me they are a source of my beauty
And I adorn them with pride

I tilt my head and look at my body
Mixed emotions surge through my veins
It tells the story of my struggles
How sometimes I’d over or under eat when in pain

I love every curve of my figure
I even love my belly fat
I rub at it appreciating
This is where life was once at

I can see the noticeable dents in my booty
It’s not round and firm like Buffy the Body’s
But my ass is just my ass and I own it
It’s not the only thing I have going about me

No, my abs are not as tight as Janet Jackson’s
I may not be as robust as Mo’Nique
But I love every inch of my body
‘Cause every inch is what makes me unique!
Image: "Midnight Beauty" by Alix Beaujour

No comments:

Post a Comment